Public transport makes getting most places pretty affordable, but what about the times you need to travel further afield, do a big grocery shop, or pick up that bookshelf going free to a good home on Gumtree? Owning a car is a luxury a lot of students can’t afford and car hire gets very expensive very quickly, especially if you’re under 25.
The biggest and most affordable car sharing service in Brisbane is Car Next Door. They have over 200 cars, vans and utes in Brisbane, with plenty to choose from near UQ in St Lucia, Toowong, Highgate Hill, West End and New Farm.
Car Next Door is a peer-to-peer car sharing service, which means the cars are owned by real people who rent out their cars when they aren’t using them. You’ll be saving money, making better use of idle cars, and keeping the lion’s share of your money in your local community.
With Car Next Door you get:
- Free membership – only pay when you use a car
- Car hire starting at $5 an hour or $25 a day, plus distance
- No extra fees or higher excess for young drivers
- Comprehensive insurance coverage
- 24/7 roadside assistance and member support
- A huge range of small cars, large cars, SUVs, utes and vans to choose from
- Convenience – book instantly with just a few taps and pick up the car using the app
- Carbon neutral travel – all the emissions from your driving will be offset through Car Next Door’s partnership with Greenfleet and their native reforestation projects
To join you’ll need to be over 21 and hold a full Australian or international licence (no P plates or provisional licences). See the full eligibility.
Plus, if you’re a My UQU Rewards member, you receive free $20 driving credit and no signup fees.